As a residential or commercial building owner, protecting your investment is of utmost importance. And when it comes to durability and longevity, nothing quite compares to steel and metal buildings. Not only are they resistant to natural disasters such as tornadoes, hurricanes, and earthquakes, they are also low maintenance and energy efficient. But what makes these structures so strong and safeguarded against damage? In this article, we’ll dive into the various ways steel and metal buildings resist damage to help you better understand how to protect your investment.
1. Structural Design: Steel and metal buildings are engineered to withstand harsh weather and other damaging forces. The structural design includes reinforced frames, rigid connections, and trusses that distribute weight evenly throughout the building. These elements work together to prevent the structure from collapsing under pressure and provide stability for years to come.
2. Galvanized Steel: One of the biggest threats to steel and metal structures is rust and corrosion. To prevent this, galvanized steel is typically used during construction. Galvanization involves coating steel with a protective layer of zinc, which acts as a barrier against moisture and other corrosive elements. This makes the building more durable, long-lasting, and resistant to damage.
3. High-Quality Coatings: In addition to galvanized steel, high-quality coatings are applied to the exterior and interior of steel and metal buildings. These coatings serve several purposes: they add a layer of protection to the structure, prevent rust and corrosion, and enhance the building’s appearance. Common coatings include paint, epoxy, and polyurethane, all of which are specially formulated for steel and metal.
4. Impact Resistance: High winds, hail, and debris can cause significant damage to a building’s exterior. To combat this, steel and metal structures are designed to be impact resistant. This means they are capable of withstanding the force of hailstones, tree limbs, and other debris without breaking or denting the exterior. This further protects the building from water damage and other harmful effects of weather events.
5. Fire Resistance: Fires can quickly consume traditional wood or concrete buildings, but steel and metal structures are much better equipped to resist the damage caused by flames. The material does not catch fire or promote the spread of flames, and it doesn’t release toxic gases when exposed to heat. Additionally, many steel and metal structures are coated with fire-retardant materials that slow the spread of fires, providing added protection to the building.
Contact SteelCo to Learn About the Benefits of Pre-Engineered Steel Buildings
Investing in a steel or metal building is a wise decision for those who want a durable, long-lasting structure that can withstand the elements. The various ways they can resist damage make them a smart choice for residential and commercial property owners alike. With the added benefits of low maintenance and energy efficiency, steel and metal buildings are a safe and practical choice for those who want a structure that will last for years to come.
To discuss your next project and learn more about the benefits of pre-engineered steel and metal buildings, contact our experienced team today! From agricultural buildings and aircraft hangars to storage buildings and warehouses, we offer a wide range of high-quality steel buildings with custom design options to choose from.